Toll-free: 1-800-563-6348
Blog Posts

Can a cyclist receive accident benefits if they are hit by a car?

Spring is almost here, the roads are drying up and for some, that means getting your bike tuned up and back on the road.  For most, cycling will mean lots of fresh air and exercise this spring and summer.  However, accidents do happen and in the event that you are involved in a collision with a car, its good to know how to obtain help for any injuries you have suffered.

Common Cycling and Car Accidents

Research from the University of Toronto reported that the three most common accidents in Toronto involving cyclists and motor vehicles, were 1) a motorist entering an intersection and either failing to stop properly or proceeding before it was safe to do so; 2) a motorist overtaking a cyclist unsafely; and 3) a motorist opening a door onto an oncoming cyclist.

Claim for Accident Benefits

If you, as a cyclist, are involved in an accident with a motor vehicle, you are entitled to make a claim for accident benefits, regardless of who is at fault for the collision!  Depending on the extent of your injuries, you may be entitled to receive income replacement benefits, medical and rehabilitation benefits and attendant care benefits.

In order to receive benefits, you must submit an Application for Accident Benefits.

Where do I Send the Accident Claim Forms?

You may be surprised to learn that, in most cases, even if you do not own a car, you can still submit a claim for accident benefits.  Where you send your application form depends on your particular circumstances.  For example, if you own an automobile, you would send your application form to the insurance company that insures your vehicle – even though you were not in your car at the time of the accident.  However, in general, if neither you or your spouse owns or leases a car and you are not listed as a driver on somebody’s insurance policy, you would send your forms to the insurance company of the car that hit you.  All of the details about where to send your forms are outlined in the accident claim form itself.

In addition to making a claim for accident benefits, you may also be entitled to sue the at-fault driver for additional damages, including pain and suffering.  If you have been injured in a bicycle accident or have any questions about bicycle accident insurance claims, contact one of our experienced Ontario personal injury lawyers by calling 1-800-563-6348.

Get a Consultation*

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

*Please note: Sending an email to us will not make us your lawyers. You will not be considered a client of the firm until we have agreed to act for you in accordance with our usual policies for accepting clients. Unless you are a current client of FDT LLP, please do not include any confidential information in your email. No information you send us can be held in confidence and no information we provide to you can be treated as legal advice unless and until we have agreed to act for you.