Toll-free: 1-800-563-6348
Blog Posts

Injured in a car accident in Ontario? Important Deadlines and Limitation Periods Affecting Car Crash Victims in Ontario

What should I do after a car accident?

Following a serious accident, the greatest concern for an accident victim and their family is to recover from injuries and try to get life back on track. Auto, motorcycle, and recreational vehicle crash victims, or slip and fall victims,  with extensive injuries, such as spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injury or broken bones, may find the unexpected costs of recovery result in a financial burden. In order to ease that burden, the victim or their family may wish to take legal action to recover the money required to pay for care, assistive devices and therapy, and other damages an injured person may be legally entitled to recover.

Talking with an Ontario personal injury lawyer is the best way to get answers to your questions and to better understand what benefits and awards you or your family may be entitled to.

What are limitation periods in Ontario?

A limitation period is the period of time that a person has between an event, such as the accident or the denial of a benefit, and when he or she must take a step to protect a right. These limitation periods are extremely important. If your claim is not submitted in time, before the limitation period expires, your right to sue could be lost.

The following list provides some important timelines to be aware of:

  • If you are making a claim against your own insurance company: You should put them on notice within seven days.
  • To sue your own insurance company for accident benefits: This must be done within two years of a denial of benefit.
  • To sue the at fault driver: Two years from the date of the accident.
  • With respect to Municipalities, there are some very short limitation periods which apply: Specifically, a slip and fall on a sidewalk owned by a Municipality obligates one to put the Municipality on notice of the accident within 10 days.

When should I contact a personal injury or civil litigation lawyer?

The circumstances around every accident are unique. Waiting too long to take action can mean you may miss out on the financial compensation you may be entitled to. A personal injury lawyer or a civil litigation lawyer can listen to the details of your situation and help you to understand what options are available to get your life back on track.

If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident, such as a car crash or motorcycle accident, or have suffered any kind of personal injury,  Ontario’s Personal Injury Lawyers provide free no obligation consultation and answers to your questions on the limitation periods in Ontario.


Get a Consultation*

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

*Please note: Sending an email to us will not make us your lawyers. You will not be considered a client of the firm until we have agreed to act for you in accordance with our usual policies for accepting clients. Unless you are a current client of FDT LLP, please do not include any confidential information in your email. No information you send us can be held in confidence and no information we provide to you can be treated as legal advice unless and until we have agreed to act for you.